“This was a very beneficial internship and I learned a lot. I want to thank the Center for Social Impact for this opportunity and the support provided. This internship changed my career path to something more food orientated, and I am excited about the future.”
– Mark Green, MBA/MS ’19
If you are a Ross School of Business MBA or BBA junior looking for a challenging, high-level, paid summer internship in a mission-driven organization, then consider applying for an Impact Corps summer internship. The Impact Corps program – formerly known as Domestic Corps – offers a variety of projects, including marketing, strategic planning, new business development, and civic consulting with leading nonprofits across the world.
Benefits of an Impact Corps Internship
- MBA students have been historically compensated $10,000 and BBA students $6,000 for the 10 week internship; signing bonus and travel expenses are also a part of the compensation package
- Gain professional knowledge and skills in nonprofit and cross-sector management
- A concrete opportunity to integrate tools learned in the classroom in an applied, consulting engagement
2018 Impact Corps Projects
Internships will be posted to the Ross Off-Campus Job Board and this page throughout the academic year.
Civic Consulting Alliance – Application now closed
The Summer Associate Program is a prestigious summer internship opportunity for graduate students to work in public sector consulting, create a civic network, and have a lasting, positive impact on Chicago and the broader region. Summer Associates participate in a specialized training program focused on core consulting, analytical problem solving, and project management skills. They are then placed on teams working on a specific, high-impact client project for a public sector client working in education, public safety, healthcare, or economic development. In addition to substantial client work, throughout the summer, Summer Associates will have exposure to senior civic executives and peers who are active in the civic and private sectors through a series of networking events.
By participating in the program, Summer Associates will:
- Complete high-impact projects for the City of Chicago, working side-by-side with Civic Consulting Alliance consultants, pro bono partners, and senior leaders in Chicago government.
- Develop an understanding of key consulting skills as well as public sector policies, operations, and challenges.
- Interact with executives in the public and private sector.
- Be registered in a graduate degree program in business, public policy, public affairs, nonprofit management, or another related degree.
- Possess strong analytic, research, and communication skills.
- Have the ability to work with a variety of teams in a complex political environment.
- Demonstrate a record of success and an ability to solve problems in a variety of settings.
- Desire to serve the City of Chicago, Cook County, and their respective agencies and departments.
- Have at least three years of previous work experience.
Application for this Internship is CLOSED.
Environmental Defense Fund
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career. The EDF+Business Program began partnering with Walmart on sustainability in 2005. Our primary goal is to change the retail supply chain to have a smaller environmental and social footprint throughout the life-cycle of consumer goods. Priorities include system and design changes to drive reductions in GHG emissions, reductions and removal of chemicals of concern from consumer products including food, improvements in agricultural practices that affect ecosystem and human health, consumer engagement, and effective metrics to track and document change.
Each student would work with EDF staff, Walmart’s corporate sustainability team, Walmart merchants, Walmart suppliers, or another company that EDF closely partners with, in different product categories to identify areas of significant potential for product improvement in one or more environmental areas of importance to EDF. The category areas will become evident by Spring 2018, but are likely to focus on food production and processing, chemicals in food and products, greenhouse gas emissions explicitly given the gigaton goal, circular economy, and/or metrics. Specific tasks will include a mix of the following: prepare one or more situation and landscape analyses; identify points of leverage and quantify potential improvements found through independent research or in conversation with merchants and suppliers; cross map findings against market volumes to determine the most significant areas of potential improvement; calculate environmental outcomes and cost impacts; conduct and assess pilots; develop a set of recommendations that would drive category improvement and garner strong merchant interest and support.
A few possible projects include; analyzing data and looking for environmental business methods with supplier companies, food waste, create and field webinars directed at company
- Analysis of retail value chains and product categories associated with high sustainability impacts
- Interviews with members of retail merchandizing and sustainability teams to identify areas of interest in relevant product categories
- A list of potential product improvements and innovations in the targeted categories
- Follow-up meetings with merchandizing team members to gauge interest in product improvements and innovations
- Ranked list of recommended action strategies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills.
- Must me able to prioritize different project deadlines and tasks.
Location: Bentonville, AR
Application Materials: Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with Cover Letter and Resume.
Go to the EDF Internship listing and select the “IMPACT Corps” internships to apply. Deadline for this internship application is Sun, Jan. 28, 2018