“My Impact Corps experience with TEAM schools was incredible. Every day I saw key decisions driven by the underlying vision of doing what’s best for the kids of Newark and Camden…and the leadership dashboard and financial model I created further empowered TEAM’s strategic stakeholder decision-making.”
– Kaitlin Paulson, MBA/MS ’16
If you are a Ross School of Business MBA or BBA junior looking for a challenging, high-level, paid summer internship in a mission-driven organization, then consider applying for an Impact Corps summer internship. The Impact Corps program – formerly known as Domestic Corps – offers a variety of projects, including marketing, strategic planning, new business development, and civic consulting with leading nonprofits across the world.
Benefits of an Impact Corps Internship
- MBA students have been historically compensated $10,000 and BBA students $6,000 for the 10 week internship; signing bonus and travel expenses are also a part of the compensation package
- Gain professional knowledge and skills in nonprofit and cross-sector management
- A concrete opportunity to integrate tools learned in the classroom in an applied, consulting engagement
2017 Impact Corps Projects
Civic Consulting Alliance (CCA) – Chicago, IL
CCA is a nonprofit management consulting firm serving the City of Chicago through a unique public-private partnership with prominent consulting firms, businesses, and nonprofit organizations. CCA helps the City address its key strategic and operational issues by using a combination of CCA staff, staff on loan from for-profit consulting firms, and guidance from Chicago’s most senior business and civic leaders. CCA’s focus areas include: education, environment and transit, workforce development, public services and quality of life.
Summer Associate Program (up to 4 MBAs)
Complete high-impact projects for the City of Chicago, working side-by-side with CCA experts, private sector consultants, and senior executives in Chicago government. Projects may be focused on economic growth, education, healthcare, or public safety and will be finalized as priorities are set and the best intern fit is determined.
Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) uses economic incentives to achieve transformational change within four key program areas – climate, oceans, ecosystems, and health. Through its Corporate Partnership Program, EDF works to harness the power of markets to unleash environmental salutations and innovations.
Sustainable Finance and Communications (1 MBA) – Boston, MA
- Work with EDF staff engaged in sustainable finance initiatives and the marketing and communications team to support the launch of a new Sustainable Finance Center. This center aims to help coordinate the diversity of efforts, streamline knowledge sharing and investor engagement efforts, and serve as a hub for thought leadership at EDF.
- The intern will directly support the launch of the Center by working with staff to articulate key finance strategies being used by different program areas, identify key gaps and needs, and produce public-facing thought pieces that highlight EDF’s expertise and tell a compelling narrative for potential donors and partners.
Consumer Product Sustainability and Fertilizer/Circular Economy Sustainability (2 MBAs) – Bentonville, AR
Working alongside EDF staff, Walmart’s corporate sustainability team, Walmart merchants, and Walmart suppliers in different product categories to identify areas of significant potential for product improvement in one or more environmental areas of importance to EDF including food production and processing, chemicals in food and products, greenhouse gas emissions, circular economy, and/or metrics.
Specific tasks will include a mix of the following:
- Prepare one or more situation and landscape analyses.
- Identify points of leverage and quantify potential improvements found through independent research or in conversation with merchants and suppliers.
- Cross map findings against market volumes to determine the most significant areas of potential improvement.
- Calculate environmental outcomes and cost impacts; conduct and assess pilots.
- Develop a set of recommendations that would drive category improvement and garner strong merchant interest and support.