- This event has passed.
All About the ADA and Accommodations!
September 13, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
If you are providing a service, it is important to know the best ways to communicate with and about individuals who may have disabilities. This session will help you to understand how to best serve individuals with disabilities, and will also give you some etiquette pointers that you can use in your everyday life. In addition, you will find useful information in this session if you are someone who needs an accommodation.
You will learn to:
– Recognize the impact of language as it pertains to the topic of disability
– Apply specific tips for communicating with individuals with disabilities, including
individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and individuals who are blind or have
– Determine when your own unintentional biases and assumptions concerning
individuals with disabilities are interfering with your ability to provide quality service
– Use appropriate questions in order to determine whether an individual with a
disability requires assistance or an accommodation
– Identify ways to better help individuals with disabilities, including those who are
accompanied by service animals
– Learn about providing and receiving accommodations
– And more!
You will benefit by:
– Recognizing how to appropriately and effectively engage with co-workers,
members of the public, and others who may have a disability
– Understanding how to best serve individuals with disabilities
– Learning some etiquette pointers to use in your everyday life
– Learn how to engage in the interactive process and request an accommodation
Presenter: Christina Kline, Disability Coordinator