Ross MBAs are known for their collaborative culture and engagement in social impact. No other initiative exemplifies this better than the student-led Give-A-Day Fund.
Launched in 2012, the Fund is a first-of-its-kind initiative among U.S. business schools. The Give-A-Day Fund engages Ross MBAs with the social impact community by providing financial assistance to students interning with impact organizations, which often provide interns with little to no salary. As its name implies, MBA students are asked to donate a day of their summer internship salary to make this support possible.
2016 Campaign Results
- Over $25,000 raised from the Class of 2016
- 13 MBAs were awarded funding to support internships in summer 2016
- 2016 summer interns are making an impact at organizations like the UN Environment Program, Education Pioneers, Third Plateau Impact Strategies, the Detroit Mayor’s office, and the Tennessee Department of Education, among others
Frequently Asked Questions
Who donates to the Give-A-Day Fund?
- Rising MBA2s are asked to pledge a day of their summer salary, but can donate at anytime. Other members of the Ross community are also encouraged to donate.
Who receives Give-A-Day funding?
- Ross MBAs who pursue no- or low-paying internships with qualifying social impact organizations can apply to receive funding through Business+Impact’s Summer Internship Funding program.
How are funding decisions made?
- All award decisions are jointly made by the outgoing Give-A-Day Board and Business+Impact.
- Award decisions are based on the level of need (taking into account other funding being received), consideration of the position’s impact, and the quality of the application.
- Award amounts are typically capped at $2,000, although exceptions can be made at the discretion of the Give-A-Day Board (provided sufficient funds are available).
How are funds collected and managed?
- All donations are processed using the University’s giving system as tax-deductible gifts to the University.
How can I receive funding from Give-A-Day?
- Apply to receive funding through Business+Impact’s Summer Internship Funding program.
The Give-a-Day Fund Board
The Give-a-Day Fund board is responsible for raising funds and helping to select the recipients of those funds. The board needs people from all career backgrounds and interests. Some benefits of being a board member include:
- The chance to serve on the first board of its kind among MBA programs
- High-visibility interaction with Ross administration
- Opportunity to support diverse internship experience within the Ross community
- Planning and executing a fundraising campaign
- Insight into the selection process for award recipients
Please email GiveaDayFund@umich.edu to learn more or to sign-up!