BUSINESS+IMPACT SUMMER FUND PROGRAM
Each summer, Business+Impact awards competitive grants for summer internships to MBAs and BBA juniors in the Ross School of Business as well as MPP students in the Ford School of Public Policy.
If you are a student completing a social impact internship in the nonprofit, public, or private sectors, then you are eligible to apply as long as the organization has a clearly defined social mission. This opportunity enables you to receive a stipend for summer internships in addition to project management, research, and industry coaching from B+I.
— Colleen Hill, MBA/MS ’18
who interned at Room to Read
- Only internships served prior to graduation from U-M are eligible. (You must graduate no earlier than the December following your summer internship.)
- Internships must be at least 10 weeks in length and total funding for graduate students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $14,000. Total funding for BBA students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $7,000.
- Eligible organizations can be a nonprofit, government, or clearly-defined social enterprise.
- You are awarded up to an average of $2,000 for internships in the U.S. and abroad.
- If you are not completing a traditional internship — opting instead to create your own summer experience delivering social impact — you can still apply to the Summer Fund. Contact B+I staff to determine if you are eligible.
Please note that we do not support courses, field placements, part-time activities, or projects that are undertaken for course credit. If you are uncertain if your internship or other summer project is eligible for the Summer Fund, contact B+I at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give-A-Day Fund for Summer Internships
The majority of MBA funds for summer internships are donations made by members of the prior MBA class through the student-led Give-A-Day Fund. Members of the MBA class donate a day of their regular salary in order to support those who have pursued social impact internships. A student board manages the fund and runs the fundraising process.